Celebrate the Māori New Year at Taranaki's iconic home of peace: Parihaka!
Puanga Kai Rau Festival will once again be held at Parihaka Pā (Taranaki) this June!
Saturday, 12th June 2021 - please mark this date in your diary. We will light a fire, do some gardening and also enjoy the rising stars performing on the stage! Please see the full program for more details.
6am - Pūrepo - Karakia, waiata, poi 7am - Whakaohooho a Mahuika 7.30am - Kai o te ata 8am - Mahi Māra 10am - Kids Activities 12md - Kai o te rānui 1pm - Mahi Māra - Food Forest 3pm - Activities to be decided 5pm - Kai o Te Pō 6.30pm - Concert
FAQ | Pātai
1. Does this festival cost anything? Kao (No).
2. Is it just a one day festival this year? Ae (Yes), just the one day.
3. Can I stay the night at the marae? Kao (No), all three marae at Parihaka are currently undergoing renovations and are closed for hui.
4. What should I bring? Gumboots, warm clothes and raincoats are essential just incase, especially for tamariki and kaumatua. Don't forget a torch. Bring some gardening tools if you plan to help in the maara and instruments if you want jam around the fire.
5. Where should I park? Please follow the direction of organisers. Park in the designated areas. Drive carefully - our kids are running and biking around. We encourage you to car-pool to reduce emissions.
6. What about food? We are having a shared kai at the garden. Feel free to contribute.
7. What about alcohol? This is a family-friendly, drug and alcohol-free event, e hoa mā! Smokers are asked to smoke outside and out of sight of our tamariki please.
Please be aware that this is a papakāinga (community village) so there are private residences on site and there are dogs, cats, chickens and tamariki roaming at all times.
The event is funded by Te Puni Kōkiri and you, through your koha. It is supported by Taranaki iwi and Parihaka whānau, and managed and run by a hearty team of super awesome volunteers.
Any other questions, please contact us. Ngā mihinui!