Celebrate the Māori New Year at Taranaki's iconic home of peace: Parihaka!
Puanga Kai Rau Festival will once again be held at Parihaka Paa (Taranaki) this June!
8-9-10 June 2018 - please mark these dates in your diary. We will light a fire, do some gardening and also enjoy the rising stars performing on the stage! Please see the full program for more details.
FAQ | Patai
1. Does this festival cost anything? Kao (No), but please bring kai to share on the Friday night. Koha is always appreciated too. Note: Food and drinks will be on sale at the Puanga Cafe at Te Niho so bring some cash.
2. Can I come on Saturday if I didn't come to the pōwhiri on Friday night? Ae (Yes). Once pōwhiri is done, we are all clear but please be considerate when entering a marae or new whare for the first time.
3. Can I stay the night at the marae? Yes, the marae are open for you all but we don't take bookings and it is basically a first in first served basis - please follow the direction of organisers as to when and where to set up your bed. In terms of PARKING, please park in the designated areas. Drive carefully - our kids are running and biking around. Don't forget a torch if you're staying overnight as there are not many street lights. Gumboots, warm clothes and raincoats are handy too.
4. What about food? There will be a cafe operating at Te Niho o Te Atiawa for hot drinks and snacks. We are having a kai together on Friday night and there will be kai for those who help at the maara working bee. Feel free to bring any food and drinks you may need just remember no eating and drinking in the wharenui.
5. What about alcohol? This is a family-friendly, drug and alcohol-free event, e hoa mā! Smokers are asked to smoke outside and out of sight of our tamariki please.
Any other questions, please contact us :-) Ngā mihi!